Pathology Technician Assistant
Company: Kaiser Permanente
Posted on: June 9, 2021
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of
Pathology/Laboratory Director and the Laboratory Administrative
Director or designee and under general supervision of the grossing
pathologist, assists pathologist in the receipt, organization of
surgical tissue specimens, and autopsies and assures and logs
specimens appropriately, processes, and disposes in a timely and
safe manner. All tasks are to be done courtestly and correctly
using judgment to respond appropriately to changing workload. Must
be willing to work in a Labor/Management Partnership
- Receives, transports, verifies identification, logs, and
prepares gross surgical and cytology specimens received in
- May be required to pick up and transport all pathology
specimens from laboratory and surgery, verifying specimen
identification and resolves discrepancies.
- Labels specimens, requisitions, cassettes with surgical
accession number, legibly and accurately.
- Enters accession number, patient and specimen identifiers into
- Processes, prepares, and sends specimens to outside laboratory
and accurately completes all associated paperwork.
- Processes, prepares, and distributes intra-facility
- Performs tissue sections according to written policies and
- Assists pathologist with gross examination.
- Sets up necessary equipment, supplies and specimens for gross
- Stores specimens after examination.
- Disinfects area/instruments including cryostat.
- May assist pathologists preparing fetal/infant cadavers and
associated paperwork for delivery to fetal pathologists.
- Maintains wet tissue storage.
- Stores, rotates, and disposes of all wet tissues in accordance
with departmental procedures. Disinfects and maintains specimen
- Disposes of tissues, decanting formaldehyde per department
protocol and following all safety precautions.
- Assists other staff, as directed, and assists with clerical
- Receives slides from Regional Lab and distributes slides to
pathologist. Verifies accuracy of shipment.
- Files, including slides.
- Assists with stocking supplies and proper utilization of
- Mailing and distribution of report.
- Answering the telephone and responding to voicemail messages in
a timely manner.
- According to established facility protocol, conducts daily
morgue census; verifies if autopsy is required and collects permit
chart, etc. as assigned.
- Properly labels, stores, handles, and disposes reagents and
hazardous wastes according to local, State and Federal regulations.
This may include recycling or reprocessing of reagents used in the
department/unit including neutralization of formaldehyde before
- May be assigned to train staff in all non-grossing duties.
- Performs other duties assigned.
- This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
- Current pathology experience including assisting in receipt and
processing surgical specimens
- Experience in assisting the pathologists in post mortem
- Current pathology technical assistant experience preferred
- Must have an AA in Laboratory Science or Medical Laboratory
Technology, or equivalent education with at least 60 semester hours
including, at a minimum, six semester hours each of chemistry and
biology and twelve semester hours of chemistry, biology, or medical
technology in any combination from an accredited institution.
Must have previously qualified or could have qualified as a
laboratory medical technologist on or before February 28, 1992
On or before April 24, 1995 must have been a high school
graduate or equivalent and have either graduated from a HHS
approved medical laboratory training program or successfully
completed an official U.S. military medical laboratory procedures
training course of at least 50 weeks duration and have held the
military enlisted occupational specialty of Medical Laboratory
Specialist (Laboratory Technician).
- Good working knowledge of basic clinical laboratory and
- Excellent written & verbal communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills necessary to work under time
- Ability to keep detailed records
- Excellent attendance
- Strong customer focus
- Excellent interpersonal skills in working with customers,
clinicians & coworkers
- Basic computer keyboard skills & word processing of 20 wpm
- Ability to function according to established policies and
procedures under the general supervision, and, as applicable,
direct supervision of a pathologist
- Must be able to read, write and speak the English language
Primary Location: California,Roseville,Roseville Womens &
Childrens Center Scheduled Weekly Hours: 1 Shift: Day Workdays:
On-Call Working Hours Start: 06:00 AM Working Hours End: 08:00 PM
Job Schedule: Call-in/On-Call Job Type: Standard Employee Status:
Regular Employee Group/Union Affiliation: A01|SEIU|United
Healthworkers Job Level: Entry Level Department: Roseville Hospital
- Pathology-General - 0206 Travel: No Kaiser Permanente is an equal
opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive
workforce. Applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy),
age, sexual orientation, national origin, marital status, parental
status, ancestry, disability, gender identity, veteran status,
genetic information, other distinguishing characteristics of
diversity and inclusion, or any other protected status.
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen.
Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be
considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal and
state laws, as well as applicable local ordinances, including but
not limited to the San Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance
Click here for additional requirements >
Share This Job
Keywords: Kaiser Permanente, Roseville , Pathology Technician Assistant, Other , Roseville, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!