Company: Western Sierra Medical Clinic - Grass Valley Site
Location: Grass Valley
Posted on: May 15, 2022
Job DescriptionBe a part of an amazing practice supporting a
dynamic community balancing professional and personal lifestyle in
a gorgeous Northern California location.Western Sierra is a
nonprofit organization who offers accessible, affordable, quality
health care in Northern California. We provide comprehensive
medical, dental and behavioral health care and continue to expand
our specialty care services, from addiction management to women's
health services. We have six health centers across three counties
including Nevada, Sierra and Placer county; a region with about
150,000 residents, located 50 miles northeast of Sacramento.The
region offers many outdoor activities, where residents enjoy the
benefits of a rural lifestyle while remaining close to large cities
and airports.GENERAL DESCRIPTION Under medical provider, RN, or LVN
direction and operating within the scope of practice as a medical
assistant, provides nursing care for clinic patients following
established standards and practices. The Medical Assistant directs
patient flow, sets a patient friendly environment in the clinic and
provides direct patient care, assisting the medical provider by
preparing the patient for the visit, taking appropriate vital
signs, collecting requested specimens and preparing the patient for
medical procedures. The Medical Assistant at the direction of the
medical provider, also performs CLIA waived laboratory testing,
EKG's, ear lavage, and gives immunizations and medications. They
direct the patients flow by setting up medication refill requests,
sorting and prepping paperwork and collecting and recording
information for the provider. DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides direct patient care: takes vital signs, observes and
checks for changes in patient's condition, prepares patient for
provider visit, recognizes patient's nursing needs, abnormalities
or urgent problems and uses or provides appropriate assistance and
- Assists provider during procedures, which may include
administering treatments, such as ear lavage, dressing changes,
specimen collection etc. Ensures specimens are ready for collection
at appropriate time. Uses knowledge of and practices sterile
technique and universal precautions during all procedures.
- Ensures accurate medication is administered in the correct form
and dosage such as immunizations, injections and oral medications
within the scope of practice and/or utilizes resources available
for medication administration. Ensures patients receive education
regarding medications, dosage, side effects, purpose of medications
and ensures patients understand all necessary information.
- Documents all pertinent information in patient's chart,
including information and instructions given to patient related to
test results, procedures and medications. Reviews and organizes
medical record to ensure it is complete so that information can be
brought to provider's attention.
- Answers patient calls and obtains complete information
regarding patient's condition and determines, in consultation with
the provider, if patient needs to see provider and in what time
frame. Returns patient calls, providing advice to patient as
instructed by the provider.
- Coordinates patient flow within the clinic and troubleshoots
problems, including ensuring emergent patients are able to see
provide, and communicating patient information to provider.
- Responsible for recognizing signs and symptoms of emergent
problems and notifying provider as necessary. Follows clinic
procedures in case of emergency and is knowledgeable and able to
perform CPR, and function effectively in a code situation.
- Performs miscellaneous duties to maintain quality care and
efficient patient flow for the clinic. These may include
maintaining and caring for equipment, ordering and stocking
supplies, answering patient calls and scheduling as needed for new,
follow-up, and consult appointments, ensuring appropriate forms,
authorizations and consents are utilized.
- Provides emotional support to patients and families
experiencing difficulty and notifies provider of any special
problems or concerns. Refers patient or family to appropriate
people if questions cannot be answered. Is aware of available
resources within Western Sierra Medical Clinic and community.
- Maintains good relations and fosters effective public relations
with patients, medical staff and other providers. Demonstrates
appropriate use of verbal and non-verbal communication techniques
in dealing with patients, ie. Direct questions, silence, and
- Uses appropriate tools to communicate with providers and other
staff, ie. Telephone, intercom and computer system.
- Ensures confidentially of all patient, family, provider, and
other staff information. Only discusses patient information when
pertinent to care and only with appropriate personnel. Maintains
computer confidentiality as well, by ensuring patients are unable
to see screen and computer screens are locked out when not directly
- Follows established policies and procedures, safety,
environmental and infection control standards.
- Explains costs related to procedures and lab tests to patients
prior to administering, or assures that the provider has done
- Maintains a clean work environment in personal spaces, staff
space and patient spaces such as exam rooms.
- Maintains and cares for office and clinical equipment and
supplies. Cleans and sterilizes equipment. Performs quality control
- Uses appropriate safety procedures for handling, storage and
disposal of biohazard waste.
- Priorities work and provides prompt and efficient
- Participate in, and support, Quality Assurance measures as
- Tracks client data, specialty appointments and diagnostic
tests. Follows up with patients who appear behind.
- Attends educational updates.
- Attends annual CPR certification.
- Performs all other related duties as assigned. MINIMUM
- Requires graduation from a recognized Medical Assisting program
or equivalent on the job training.
- Certification as a Medical Assistant is preferred.
- BLS for the Health Care Provider or equivalent CPR class is
required within 6 months and to be maintained throughout
employment. Preferred at hire date.
- Bilingual (preferably Spanish) preferred.TYPICAL WORKING
CONDITIONS: Work will involve frequent contact with patients and
other health care professionals. Work may be stressful at times.
Interaction with others can be constant and interruptive. Contact
will involve dealing with people with illnesses, both acute and
chronic. Frequent exposure to potential communicable diseases,
toxic substances, medicinal preparations, bodily fluids and other
conditions common to a primary care clinic environment.
Keywords: Western Sierra Medical Clinic - Grass Valley Site, Roseville , Medical Assistant, Healthcare , Grass Valley, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!