Licensed Vocational Nurse (LVN)
Company: Western Sierra Medical Clinic - Grass Valley Site
Location: Grass Valley
Posted on: May 15, 2022
Job DescriptionWestern Sierra Medical ClinicJob Description
LICENSED VOCATIONAL NURSE JOB TITLE: Licensed Vocational Nurse
(LVN) REPORTS TO: Director of Clinical Services GENERAL STATEMENT
OF DUTIES: A Licensed Vocational Nurse (LVN) is a licensed staff
member who performs those duties as outlined below. Under medical
provider or RN direction, and operating within the scope of
practice of an LVN, provides nursing care for clinic patients
following established standards and practices. The LVN directs
patient flow, sets a patient friendly environment in the clinic and
provides direct patient care, assisting the medical provider by
preparing the patient for the visit, taking appropriate vital
signs, collecting requested specimens and preparing the patient for
medical procedures. The LVN at the direction of the medical
provider, also performs CLIA waived laboratory testing, EKG's,
draws blood, and gives immunizations and medications. They direct
the patients flow by setting up medication refill requests, sorting
and prepping paperwork and collecting and recording information for
the provider. GENERAL DUTIES: (This list may not include all of the
- Provides direct patient care: takes vital signs, observes and
checks for changes in patient's condition, prepares patient for
provider visit, recognizes patient's nursing needs, abnormalities
or urgent problems and uses or provides appropriate assistance and
- Sets up and assists provider during procedures, which may
include administering treatments, such as ear lavage, dressing
changes, specimen collection etc. Ensures specimens are ready for
collection at appropriate time. Uses knowledge of and practices
sterile technique and universal precautions during all
- Ensures accurate medication is administered in the correct form
and dosage such as immunizations, injections and oral medications
within the scope of practice and/or utilizes resources available
for medication administration. Ensures patients receive education
regarding medications, dosage, side effects, purpose of medications
and ensures patients understand all necessary information.
- Responsible for recognizing signs and symptoms of emergent
problems and notifying provider as necessary. Follows clinic
procedures in case of emergency and is knowledgeable and able to
perform CPR, and function effectively in a code situation. Starts
IV's as directed and assists with CPR or major clinical
- Blood drawing and preparation of specimens for laboratory
including urine, sputum, feces, vaginal smears, gram stains.
Perform HemoCue tests, urine Clinitests, throat cultures and
- Maintain adequate inventory of laboratory supplies.
- Coordinate follow-up care: Pap Smears, Diabetic patients,
hypertensive patients, immunization, anemia screening and family
planning. Do patient recall system.
- DOT and Non-DOT urinalysis drug screens and maintains Policy
and Procedure Manual for DOT and Non-DOT Training.
- Assist with DNA testing, blood lead testing and WIC
- Monthly log of temperature checks twice daily.
- Monthly log of daily eye wash flush and check.
- Bi-weekly Jail check of drug logs, medication checks and inmate
- Documents all pertinent information in patient's chart,
including information and instructions given to patient related to
test results, procedures and medications. Reviews and organizes
medical record to ensure it is complete so that information can be
brought to provider's attention.
- Answers patient calls and obtains complete information
regarding patient's condition and determines, in consultation with
the provider, if patient needs to see provider and in what time
frame. Returns patient calls, providing advice to patient as
instructed by the provider.
- Coordinates patient flow within the clinic and troubleshoots
problems, including ensuring emergent patients are able to see
provider, and communicating patient information to provider.
- Performs miscellaneous duties to maintain quality care and
efficient patient flow for the clinic. These may include
maintaining and caring for equipment, ordering and stocking
supplies, answering patient calls and scheduling as needed for new,
follow-up, and consult appointments, ensuring appropriate forms,
authorizations and consents are utilized.
- Develop education materials as needed and maintain health
education materials and the reference library.
- Responsible for ordering and stocking all medical supplies
daily and on a periodic basis. Maintain updated medical supply
- Assist with patient education and apply teaching skills to
enhance patient's knowledge of his/her condition and elaborate on
methods relative to immediate care or future prevention.
- Provides emotional support to patients and families
experiencing difficulty and notifies provider of any special
problems or concerns. Refers patient or family to appropriate
people if questions cannot be answered. Is aware of available
resources within Western Sierra Medical Clinic and community.
- Maintains good relations and fosters effective public relations
with patients, medical staff and other providers. Demonstrates
appropriate use of verbal and non-verbal communication techniques
in dealing with patients, ie. Direct questions, silence, and
- Uses appropriate tools to communicate with providers and other
staff, ie. Telephone, intercom and computer system.
- Ensures confidentially of all patient, family, provider, and
other staff information. Only discusses patient information when
pertinent to care and only with appropriate personnel. Maintains
computer confidentiality as well, by ensuring patients are unable
to see screen and computer screens are locked out when not directly
- Follows established policies and procedures, safety,
environmental and infection control standards.
- Explains costs related to procedures and lab tests to patients
prior to administering, or assures that the provider has done
- Maintains a clean work environment in personal spaces, staff
space and patient spaces such as exam rooms.
- Maintains and cares for office and clinical equipment and
supplies. Cleans and sterilizes equipment. Performs quality control
- Uses appropriate safety procedures for handling, storage and
disposal of biohazard waste.
- Prioritizes work and provides prompt and efficient
- Tracks client data, specialty appointments and diagnostic
tests. Follows up with patients who appear behind.
- Attends educational updates.
- Attends bi-annual CPR certification.
- Documents all pertinent information in patient's electronic
medical record according to WSMC's policies and procedures.
- Upholds WSMC's Policies and Procedures, infection control
standards, applicable state, federal and local laws.
- Quality Improvement Duties:a) Participates in quality
improvement activities;b) Participates as assigned in
interdepartmental quality improvement team efforts; andc)
Contributes to overall Community Health Center efforts in quality
improvement towards higher-quality, more cost-effective health care
for patients and improved quality of work-life for staff members.
- Current licensure as an LVN in California is required.
- BLS for the Health Care Provider or equivalent CPR class is
required at hire and to be maintained throughout employment.
- Minimum 2 years nursing experience, preferably in an urgent
care or acute care setting.
- IV certified. Additional Preferred Qualifications/Experience:1.
Familiarity with an electronic practice management system.2.
Bilingual (preferably Spanish) preferred.3. Computer literate (i.e.
logging on to computer, usage of keyboard and mouse, familiarity
with Windows, Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel).4. Ability to
type 40 wpm.
Keywords: Western Sierra Medical Clinic - Grass Valley Site, Roseville , Licensed Vocational Nurse (LVN), Healthcare , Grass Valley, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!